We often think of accuracy and aim when we have move and manipulate objects. Throwing a ball at another person. Firing a projectile at a target. Pulling a barbell of the ground on a path accurate enough to catch it overhead. But what if there is no object, and your body is what you are manipulating through movements? How do you use accuracy as a measure of progress and success?
Imagine if Handstand Push Ups were not measure or judged by whether your arms are locked out at the finish, but by whether your toes can consistently touch the point of highest reach against the wall at the finish. And what if the standard also required that your toes be the only point of contact against with the wall for the entire movement and workout? You'd have to be pretty accurate with your movement and body control to get that same finishing position everytime, and that takes skill. It's likely not very meaningful to be able to throw a ball far if it lands wildly in an adjacent field, so what does it mean to be able to do one or dozens of Handstand Push Ups if your body slams and slides against the wall with each rep. Something to think about.
This week we take on the challenge to train with accuracy in our Kipping Handstand Push Up progression:
Less than 2 weeks away to my next Freestyle Connection Seminars in NYC and DC. 5 spaces left, register before they sell out!
Special announcement! As a special thanks to all my Freestyle Connection seminar participants, you can now pre-order GWOD DVDs and apparel from GymnasticsWOD.com to be picked up at the seminar. Once you've sign up for a seminar, we will email you with a promo code for a 15% discount off your entire order too. Free shipping + 15% discount = SWEET DEAL!
There are 3 limitations for this offer though:
- You must be a registered participant for a Freestyle Connection seminar.
- This offer is only available for seminars in the US for now due to complicated international shipping and custom processes. Once we work out the kinks we may expand this offer to international seminars.
- Orders must be placed 2 weeks before the seminar date to allow time to process, pack, and ship the order.
If you've already signed up for a seminar, don't worry - we will be emailing you the promo code and details shortly!
Now for some updates on upcoming seminar and registrations:
- March 9 - NYC seminar at CrossFit 5th Avenue is filling up FAST. Sign up ASAP.
- March 10 - Alexandria, VA seminar at Capital MMA & Elite Fitness has only 6 spaces left.
- March 24 - Toronto seminar at CrossFit Colosseum is 1 space away from SOLD OUT. You might have to take a road trip to Rochester March 23 if you miss out on Toronto.
This week we break down the Kipping Handstand Push Up. We've talked about this a lot in the CrossFit Games breakdowns, but a progression has been long overdue:
Just got back last night from my tour through Latin America at CrossFit Tuluka in Argentina, CrossFit Guayaquil in Ecuador, and Fuerza CrossFit in Colombia, and what an AMAZING experience. I want to thank everyone who participated at the seminar, and to all the people who came out to meet and welcome me. There is amazing progress happening in Latin America and I cannot wait to return!
- The upcoming Freestyle Connection Seminar at CrossFit Chicago has been rescheduled from June 1st to June 15th due to a conflict with the 2013 CrossFit Games Regionals. We will be contacting all registered participants soon regarding this change.
- Seminars in Europe have been announced: May 4th at CrossFit Gothenburg in Sweden, and May 5th at CrossFit Thames in London, UK.
This week, we wrap up our Bar Muscle Up progression series:
On the road this week and Just finished an amazing weekend of seminars at CrossFit Tuluka in Argentina. Next, I'm returning to Guayaquil, Ecuador for another round of seminars and coaching. Keep an eye our for some up and coming superstars from Latin America, these athletes are legit!
This week we continue with our Bar Muscle progressions, talking about the all important transition:
Quick update for my upcoming Freestyle Connection Movement seminars:
Latin America tour starts this weekend!
- Argentina seminar at CrossFit Tuluka - Day 1 (Feb 2) is almost sold out, there is space on day 2 (Feb 3).
- Ecuador seminar at CrossFit Guayaquil is split into 2 evening sessions on Feb 6-7, there are a few spaces available still.
- Colombia seminar at Fuerza CrossFit has a few spaces available on Feb 9.
- Please register online or contact us if you need help with registration.
Seminars in the US:
- NYC seminar - March 9 at CrossFit 5th Ave - JUST ANNOUNCED!
- DC/VA seminar - March 10 at Capital MMA & Elite Fitness - a few spaces left.
- Upstate NY seminar - March 23 at Flower City CrossFit - registration is open.
- Toronto seminar - March 24 at CrossFit Colosseum - ALMOST SOLD OUT!
- Northeast seminar - April 20 at Graham Crossfit - registration is open.
- Vancouver seminar - April 21 at Rocky Point CrossFit - a few spaces left.
- Midwest seminar - June 1 at CrossFit Chicago - registration is open.
- Please register online as soon as possible to reserve a spot.
We are confirming more dates in the US, as well as a Europe tour. Stay tuned for more details and announcements.
This week we answer another popular progression request for Bar Muscle Ups:
I just returned from a weekend down at CrossFit Invictus coaching at their Athletes Camp and it was such a great experience working with an incredible crew of talented athletes. Needless to say, the 2013 CrossFit Games season is going to be an epic throwdown!
Looking forward, I'll be back on the road in a couple of weeks for my Freestyle Connection Movement Seminars. I'm going to kick off the 2013 sessions with another Latin America tour, this time I'm going a little bigger with stops in Colombia and Argentina as well as Ecuador. For all my friends in Brazil, Chile, Mexico - I hear you and I will come around again!
Finally, I will be featured with KStar for his "Maintaining Your Body" online workshop. Check it out and enroll soon, because very human being should have the tools to perfect their movement and ensure long-lasting health and mobility!
This week, we wrap up our series with the Kip Up on rings:
If you've been following our progressions, you probably know the SFCF POD (Parking lot of Dreams) pretty well. The shipping containers, the tent, the rope on the catwalk, the porta-potty, the dumpsters, all outdoors. Well, this past week SFCF has closed up the PoD and is moving to a new warehouse space just a few hops away, so get ready for a whole new look coming up in all of our weekly progressions!
This week we continue with our Kip Up to Support progression on the rings, with more hops:
The ability to manage and change orientations is a key skill to have for skill transfer to other bodyweight movements. Burpees, Kick Up to Handstand, Cartwheels, and Candlestick Rolls are basic examples of changing orientation on stable and multiple points of contacts. But what if you were on minimal and unstable points of contacts like the Rings? Then we have something like this week's progression with the Kip Up to Support, which is the most efficient way to get from an Inverted Hang (upside down) to a Support Hold (right-side up) on the Rings. While this movement in an of itself may not seem very practical in everyday life, the skill transfer potential is huge for other Ring movements where changes in orientation are involved, like the Muscle Up. Go practice and let me know what you find!
Happy New Year and welcome 2013! It's really been incredible to have met and worked with so many of you in the past year, and I'm excited that we will have even more to offer in 2013. I hope you all have had a good 2012 and that great things await you in 2013. Thanks again for your support, and keep moving!
This week we progress to work on the squared-hip cartwheel: