I want to thank everyone for their love and well wishes this weekend on my birthday! I am so fortunate to have such an amazing community of supporters to share my experiences with. Let movement be the new anti-aging program!
This week we wrap up our Pistol progressions with a couple more tools in the bag:
To the hundred of thousands of participants in this year's Reebok CrossFit Games Open, I want to congratulate you on an amazing job grinding through the workouts! They sure weren't easy and I've talked to many people where this is their first time ever attempting the heavier loads and movements prescribed in the workouts. It's amazing to see what consistent training and a positive attitude can do to blow away your limits to set new PRs! Regionals athletes - congrats and I'll see you on the field soon. Great job everyone and thanks for letting me and our team be a part of your training experience.
This week we keep practicing our Pistols with more squat talk:
A quick update on my upcoming Freestyle Connection movement seminars and my schedule for the next couple of months. If you are planning to attend, don't wait to sign up at the last minute because they are selling out FAST!
- April 20 in Seattle, WA at CrossFit Graham (9 spaces left)
- April 21 in Vancouver, BC at Rocky Point CrossFit (1 space left!)
- May 4 in Mölndal, Sweden at CrossFit Gothenburg
- May 5 in London, UK at CrossFit Thames
- June 1 in Houston, TX at CrossFit Armada
- June 2 in Atlanta, GA at CrossFit East Decatur
- June 15 in Chicago, IL at CrossFit Chicago
- June 16 in Columbus, OH at CrossFit Grandview
I am also fortunate enough to be part of the WODTours crew of superstar coaches and they have a number of amazing travel experiences lined up! You can check out these tours and come train with me, along with a number of other excellent coaches, at:
- The One Stop Shop Tour in Boston, MA on June 17-22
- The Game Time Tour in Los Angeles, CA on July 22-28
- The A-Team Tour in Alicante, Spain on August 19-25
- The Heavy Artillery Tour in Calgary, AB on September 26-30
I hope to see you at one of these upcoming events, sign up now!
This week we continue on with our Pistol progressions, with an emphasis again on position and mechanics:
Why are one-arm push ups so hard, when you can easily bench your bodyweight? Why are pistols so hard, when you can easily front or back squat your bodyweight? Why are one-armed pull ups so difficult, when you can pull a loads greater than your bodyweight?
Well, if your movement mechanics aren't solid, even small flaws become gaping holes when you remove a point of contact. If you don't initiate your push up properly with the shoulder, it's that much harder to press up with one arm. If you don't have great squat mechanics, it feels impossible to stand up with one leg.
Removing a point of contact then not only adds an element of rotation, balance and coordination, but it also challenges the quality of your mechanics for the underlying movement pattern. So anytime you struggle with one-armed or one-legged movements, see that as a test and really take a hard look at your movement mechanics. Spend more time than you think to work on getting it right!
This week, we use the pistol as an example with this progression:
This weekend we hit a huge milestone on the GWOD YouTube channel by marking our first million views! I want to thank everyone who's been so supportive over the past two years. It's been an amazing journey to be able to do what I love and help you learn, perform, and feel better about movement!
For a while now we've been slowly adding English closed captioning subtitles to our progressions on our website for the deaf and hearing impaired, and now we've also updated YouTube with these proper English subtitles since the automatic transcription feature is terrible. If there is a progression you want subtitles for that is not yet transcribed, please let us know and we'll prioritize to get that done first!
Last but not least, we are experimenting with internationalization with our YouTube progression videos by adding translated subtitles. With special thanks to Coach Alexey from CrossFit Berloga, we now have our first progressions translated in Russian with the Bar Muscle Up series.
Seminar announcements: We just announced a session on June 16 at CrossFit Grandview in Columbus, OH - home of the 2010 CrossFit Games champ Graham Holmberg. Please check the Seminars page for info and to register for this or other seminars.
This week we continue with our Rolling Pistol Progressions to get you back on your feet - with one leg:
Awesome news - the GymnasticsWOD mobile app is out for iOS and Android! It's called the GWOD Spot because it's a quick way to get at all of our workouts, demos, and video progressions while you're on the go or at the gym. All of the content is fed directly from the GymnasticsWOD website so you'll always have access to the latest and greatest, and all of the videos are streamed from the cloud so you can watch anywhere you find an internet connection. The app is $5 and will help to support us in the future with more feature updates, and more videos and progressions. Thank you so much and we hope you enjoy.
This week we start talking about Pistols, starting with an assistance piece:
If you don't have a Strict Handstand Push Up against the wall yet, it may be because you haven't developed enough strength yet. But for those of us who can strict press a barbell loaded with bodyweight overhead, what's the deal? Well, maybe the skill is missing. Check out this week's progression to learn how to use gravity as a skill - it's always there so you might as well friend it rather than fight it.
- NEW - Seminar near Houston, TX on June 1
- NEW - Seminar near Atlanta, GA on June 2
- Seminar in NYC March 9 is SOLD OUT
- Seminar in Alexandria, VA March 10 has 1 spot left
- Seminar in Toronto is March 24 is SOLD OUT
- Register now for my Freestyle Connection Movement seminars and don't miss out!
We often think of accuracy and aim when we have move and manipulate objects. Throwing a ball at another person. Firing a projectile at a target. Pulling a barbell of the ground on a path accurate enough to catch it overhead. But what if there is no object, and your body is what you are manipulating through movements? How do you use accuracy as a measure of progress and success?
Imagine if Handstand Push Ups were not measure or judged by whether your arms are locked out at the finish, but by whether your toes can consistently touch the point of highest reach against the wall at the finish. And what if the standard also required that your toes be the only point of contact against with the wall for the entire movement and workout? You'd have to be pretty accurate with your movement and body control to get that same finishing position everytime, and that takes skill. It's likely not very meaningful to be able to throw a ball far if it lands wildly in an adjacent field, so what does it mean to be able to do one or dozens of Handstand Push Ups if your body slams and slides against the wall with each rep. Something to think about.
This week we take on the challenge to train with accuracy in our Kipping Handstand Push Up progression:
Less than 2 weeks away to my next Freestyle Connection Seminars in NYC and DC. 5 spaces left, register before they sell out!
Special announcement! As a special thanks to all my Freestyle Connection seminar participants, you can now pre-order GWOD DVDs and apparel from GymnasticsWOD.com to be picked up at the seminar. Once you've sign up for a seminar, we will email you with a promo code for a 15% discount off your entire order too. Free shipping + 15% discount = SWEET DEAL!
There are 3 limitations for this offer though:
- You must be a registered participant for a Freestyle Connection seminar.
- This offer is only available for seminars in the US for now due to complicated international shipping and custom processes. Once we work out the kinks we may expand this offer to international seminars.
- Orders must be placed 2 weeks before the seminar date to allow time to process, pack, and ship the order.
If you've already signed up for a seminar, don't worry - we will be emailing you the promo code and details shortly!
Now for some updates on upcoming seminar and registrations:
- March 9 - NYC seminar at CrossFit 5th Avenue is filling up FAST. Sign up ASAP.
- March 10 - Alexandria, VA seminar at Capital MMA & Elite Fitness has only 6 spaces left.
- March 24 - Toronto seminar at CrossFit Colosseum is 1 space away from SOLD OUT. You might have to take a road trip to Rochester March 23 if you miss out on Toronto.
This week we break down the Kipping Handstand Push Up. We've talked about this a lot in the CrossFit Games breakdowns, but a progression has been long overdue:
Just got back last night from my tour through Latin America at CrossFit Tuluka in Argentina, CrossFit Guayaquil in Ecuador, and Fuerza CrossFit in Colombia, and what an AMAZING experience. I want to thank everyone who participated at the seminar, and to all the people who came out to meet and welcome me. There is amazing progress happening in Latin America and I cannot wait to return!
- The upcoming Freestyle Connection Seminar at CrossFit Chicago has been rescheduled from June 1st to June 15th due to a conflict with the 2013 CrossFit Games Regionals. We will be contacting all registered participants soon regarding this change.
- Seminars in Europe have been announced: May 4th at CrossFit Gothenburg in Sweden, and May 5th at CrossFit Thames in London, UK.
This week, we wrap up our Bar Muscle Up progression series: