Freestyle Connection Movement Seminar with Coach Carl
View upcoming seminars and register now!
This seminar is appropriate for coaches, trainers, and athletes of all levels who are familiar with CrossFit and/or training using functional movements. The main takeaway from this seminar is Coach Carl’s “Position-Movement-Purpose” framework with which you can analyze and dissect all movements, no matter how complex, to learn how to safely and efficiently train and perform these movements to build a bigger foundation, by which you could develop your own progressions and skill transfer opportunities to perform higher level movements adaptable to any type of training and any sport.
Specifically, Coach Carl will use the framework to demonstrate the interrelationships between achieving ideal Positions, quality functional Movements, and performing for a Purpose. Coach Carl will also provide a number of concepts, tools, and lenses to within the framework to enable you to analyze movements and be able to break them down into basic progressions appropriate for athletes of any level. These concepts include:
- Understanding global vs. local motion
- Training strength vs. skill
- Pushing and pulling mechanics
- Jumping and landing mechanics
- Bilateral vs. unilateral loading
- Changing orientation in space
- Changing in points of contact
- Changing base of support
- Identifying mobility and flexibility issues
- Training by blocking movement
Depending on the location, size, and schedule of the seminar, Coach Carl may bring along an assistant or intern to help with the seminar administration and proceedings.
To effectively learn how to utilize these concepts and tools, all participants will have an opportunity to go hands-on and apply the framework and experience key progressions with the 4 most complex and challenging movements currently found in CrossFit training and workouts:
- Handstand Push Up
- Muscle Up
As a testament and validation to Coach Carl’s movement framework, the hands-on component of this seminar is also appropriate for participants of all age, skill levels, and experience.
- New and beginner athletes can expect to practice Carl’s movement progressions starting from the most basic drills.
- Experienced and advanced athletes can expect to use Carl’s progressions to identify weakness and holes in their performance to learn how to maximize their efficiency and performance.
- Coaches and trainers can expect to have an opportunity to learn how best to coach, spot, and cue their athletes and clients for a broad variety of movements and scenarios.
No prior experience with gymnastics or body-weight training is required. However, the more you exposure you have had to gymnastics movements found in CrossFit, the more constructive this seminar will be for you. You should have some context and knowledge of these movements to ask Coach Carl more challenging questions, and as a result you will likely grasp the presented concepts quicker and easier.
We recommend that all participants have taken an on-ramp or foundations course at their local CrossFit gym, and to also have spent some time viewing and trying the relevant progressions and workouts on GymnasticsWOD.com as preparation for the seminar.
Schedule and Agenda
09:00-10:00 - Introduction and theory of Position, Movement, Purpose framework
10:00-11:15 - Handstand Push Up (orientation, base of support, pushing mechanics)
11:15-12:30 - Pistol (unilateral loading, mobility and flexibility)
12:30-13:15 - Lunch break
13:15-15:15 - Muscle Up (strength vs. skill, pulling mechanics)
15:15-16:15 - Burpee (jumping and landing, motor control)
16:15-17:00 - Other gymnastics movements (time permitting), wrap-up, Q&A
Documentation and Accreditation
Participants are welcome to bring notebooks, record videos, and take pictures to document their learning and experiences. We encourage you to share all that you’ve learned, but we ask that you please do not publish the seminar content in its entirety any format.
We will provide any additional invoices or receipts upon request for billing and reimbursement purposes.
Pricing and Discounts
All Freestyle Connection seminars are priced $295 per participant.
Discounts are available for eligible participants.
Cancellation and Refund Policy
All Naka Athletics registration purchases for seminars, classes, and events are non-refundable. If a registered participant is unable to attend an event, seminar, or class after the time of purchase, we ask that participants find a substitute to take their place at the event and notify Naka Athletics of the replacement. If a participant is unable to find a substitute, they may use the credit for a future session.
Naka Athletics reserves the right to reschedule or cancel events or seminars up to 3 weeks prior to the session. In the event of a reschedule, we will notify all participants and refund any registration fee upon request, no questions asked; otherwise registration will be applied as credit automatically to the rescheduled session. In the event of a cancellation, we will notify all participants all registrations will be automatically refunded unless the participant wishes to use that credit to save for another session.
We recommend that out-of-town participants do not finalize any non-refundable travel and accommodations arrangements until 3 weeks up to the event after it has been confirmed by Naka Athletics.
For more information or assistance with transferring credit to substitute participants or to attend another session, please contact us.
View upcoming seminars and register now!
Frequently Asked Questions
Register for an upcoming seminar by following the link below:
- February 22, 2015 in Decatur, GA at CrossFit East Decatur - Freestyle Connection Seminar with Coach Carl Paoli
- March 28, 2015 in Singapore at Dragon's Lair - Freestyle Connection Seminar with Coach Carl Paoli
- April 4, 2015 in Seoul, South Korea at RCF Sentinel Uptown - Freestyle Connection Seminar with Coach Carl Paoli
- April 5, 2015 in Tokyo, Japan at Chikara CrossFit - Freestyle Connection Seminar with Coach Carl Paoli
- April 11, 2015 in Venice, CA at DEUCE Gym - Freestyle Running Seminar with Coach Nate Helming